Monday 23 March 2015

MicroblogModdays:The Smiling Angel

Steak Pie - Fabulous! - at the Beauchamp Arms (pronounced 'Beecham') with a local cider preceeded a visit to the Anglican (Episcopalian) Church of St Mary the Virgin in Dymock, home of 300 souls, about five miles from where I live.

 

 

Robert Frost lived close by at the beginning of the last century. It is possible that the 'Road Less Travelled' with its 'yellow wood' records a ride through the woods around here, in March, when the native daffodils are in bloom.

 
 
 

 

What caught my eye as I wandered into St Mary's Church was this fragment of medieval stained glass. Look at the angell! I believe s/he's smiling!

 

Especially for my American griends, another piece of your history recorded in St Mary's Church - the quilts made by American women for the soldiers during the Civil War. Isn't history amazing? It crops up in the most unusual places!

 

 

This is a modern quilt made by British women to commerate the Dymock Poets, the American connection through Robert Frost, and the sacrifice of the men who died in the Great War. (1914 -1918)

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh! He's one of the Dymock poets. Yes. Lovely pictures. They make me feel like I got to travel tonight without leaving my living room.

    ReplyDelete